2019 Deadline for AB 802 -California’s Energy Disclosure Law
Feb 6, 2019 / Company News
June 1 of this year marks the AB 802 -California’s energy disclosure law – moving into its second phase, which will require multi-family buildings to comply.
Here’s some background and timelines about the bill if you aren’t already familiar:
- The bill was signed into law by Governor Brown. It established a statewide program in California for benchmarking and publicly disclosing building energy use for commercial, multifamily and mixed-use buildings 50,000 square feet or larger.
- This bill replaced the previous bill AB 1103, which was a transaction-based and experienced low compliance rates because of difficulties in accessing “whole building” energy usage information.
June 1, 2018:
- Commercial reporting began.
June 1, 2019:
- Commercial disclosure will begin, and multifamily/mixed-use reporting will begin.
June 1, 2020
- Multifamily/mixed-use disclosure will begin.
Who is required to comply?
- Commercial buildings 50,000 sq. ft. or larger
- Multifamily and mixed-use buildings 50,000 sq. ft. or larger AND with 17 or more units
And, of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch. We’re here to help you!