This holiday season might not feel exactly like last year, given the circumstances around Coronavirus. That doesn’t mean we can’t share joy and gratitude with friends, family, and loved ones. With all that’s going on in our world, we decided to shift gears in this year’s holiday gift guide, focusing on supporting small, local businesses.
To help you generate some great ideas and inspiration, we’ve compiled some of our favorite fun and unique ideas.
How To Shop Small and/or Local This Holiday Season
Each county may have different restrictions in place when it comes to which businesses can be open and which ones cannot. For the most updated information, you can visit: https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/.
Regardless, here are some ideas to get you pointed in the right direction as you begin your shopping:
- You can still give the gift of food: Gift cards from an awesome local restaurant are always a win, which still applies this holiday season. Even if restaurants aren’t open for indoor dining, most are doing takeout and delivery. So, don’t overlook this as an option. Everyone loves the treat of ordering-in their favorite food and having a relaxing evening at home.
- Farmer’s markets and craft festivals have gone digital: It’s incredible how many businesses have adapted to our changing environment, including events that would typically occur in-person. Many have gone online to allow customers to order directly from their websites. MarketBox is just one example. They offer locally curated food and craft items that you can have shipped directly to the person you’re purchasing for.
- Call local retail businesses you want to shop at: Ask them if they are open, take online orders and shipping, or have gift cards available for purchase. Most small businesses are going above and beyond to cater to customers this holiday season. So, even if a shop didn’t offer gift cards or ordering over the phone in the past, they may very well be doing so this year.
- Take a look at Etsy: Etsy is more than just trinkets and crafty items. The site includes fine jewelry, artwork, clothing, home decor items, and so much more. One of the cool things about Etsy is that you can actually filter items based on where they are made. So, if you live in San Diego and want to support those in your community, you can see merchants specifically in that area.
- Search Facebook marketplace or Craigslist: These sites have grown into more than just digital garage sale sites. You can find one-of-a-kind items made by local artisans in and around your community, and there’s nothing better than giving a unique gift to someone.
We hope that these ideas inspire you throughout your holiday shopping journey. And more importantly, we hope that you and your loved ones have a healthy and happy holiday season.
If we can be of any assistance with an escrow, please reach out. We’re here to serve you!